- One-stop solution to becoming proficient in mobile game development using Unity 2017
- Port your Unity games to popular platforms such as iOS and Android
- Unleash the power of C# scripting to create realistic gameplay and animations in Unity 2017.
Unity has established itself as an overpowering force for developing mobile games. If you love mobile games and want to learn how to make them but have no idea where to begin, then this book is just what you need. This book takes a clear, step-by-step approach to building an endless runner game using Unity with plenty of examples on how to create a game that is uniquely your own.
Starting from scratch, you will build, set up, and deploy a simple game to a mobile device. You will learn to add touch gestures and design UI elements that can be used in both landscape and portrait mode at different resolutions. You will explore the best ways to monetize your game projects using Unity Ads and in-app purchases before you share your game information on social networks. Next, using Unity’s analytics tools you will be able to make your game better by gaining insights into how players like and use your game. Finally, you’ll learn how to publish your game on the iOS and Android App Stores for the world to see and play along.
What you will learn
- Use Unity to build an endless runner game
- Set up and deploy a project to a mobile device
- Create interesting gameplay elements using inputs from your mobile device
- Monetize your game projects with Unity ads and in-app purchases
- Design UI elements that can be used well in Landscape and Portrait mode at different resolutions, supporting phones, tablets, and PCs.
- How to submit your game to the iOS and Android app stores
About the Author
John P. Doran is a technical game designer who has been creating games for over 10 years. He has worked on an assortment of games in teams consisting of just himself to over 70 people in student, mod, and professional projects in different roles, from game designer to lead UI programmer. He previously worked at LucasArts on Star Wars: 1313 as a game designer. He later graduated from DigiPen Institute of Technology in Redmond, WA, with a Bachelor of Science in game design.
John is currently a part of DigiPen’s Research and Development branch in Singapore in addition to DigiPen Game Studios. He is also the lead instructor of the DigiPen-Ubisoft Campus Game Programming Program, instructing graduate-level students in an intensive, advanced-level game programming curriculum. In addition to that, he also tutors and assists students in various subjects and gives lectures on C#, C++, Unreal, Unity, game design, and more.
He is the author of Unreal Engine Game Development Cookbook, Building an FPS Game in Unity, Unity Game Development Blueprints, Getting Started with UDK, UDK Game Development, and Mastering UDK Game Development; additionally, he co-wrote UDK iOS Game Development Beginner’s Guide—all available from Packt Publishing.
Table of Contents
- Building your Game
- Setup for Android & iOS Development
- Mobile Input / Touch Controls
- Resolution Independent UI
- Advertising using Unity Ads
- Implementing In-App Purchases
- Getting Social
- Using Unity Analytics
- Making our title juicy
- Game Build & Submission
- Authors:John P. Doran
- Publisher:Packt Publishing - ebooks Account
- Publication date:November 30, 2017
- Pages:360 pages