Discover how to use the next-generation language Red for full-stack development, from systems coding over user-interfaces to blockchain programming
- Explore the latest features of Red to build scalable, fast, and secure applications
- Learn graphical programming and build highly sophisticated reactive applications
- Get familiar with the specific concepts and techniques of Red development, like working with series, viewing code as data, and using dialects.
A key problem of software development today is software bloat, where huge toolchains and development environments are needed in software coding and deployment. Red significantly reduces this bloat by offering a minimalist but complete toolchain. This is the first introductory book about it, and it will get you up and running with Red as quickly as possible.
This book shows you how to write effective functions, reduce code redundancies, and improve code reuse. It will be helpful for new programmers who are starting out with Red to explore its wide and ever-growing package ecosystem and also for experienced developers who want to add Red to their skill set.
The book presents the fundamentals of programming in Red and in-depth informative examples using a step-by-step approach. You will be taken through concepts and examples such as doing simple metaprogramming, functions, collections, GUI applications, and more. By the end of the book, you will be fully equipped to start your own projects in Red.
What you will learn
- Set up your Red environment to achieve the highest productivity
- Get grounded in Red, gaining experience and insight through many examples and exercises
- Build simple, compact, and portable applications
- Analyze streams of data through Parse
- Compose GUI applications with View and Draw
- Get prepared for smart contract blockchain programming in Red
Who This Book Is For
This book is for software developers and architects who want to learn Red because of its conciseness, flexibility, and expressiveness, and more specifically for its possibilities in GUI apps and blockchain / smart contracts programming. Some knowledge of the basic concepts and experience of any programming language is assumed.
Table of Contents
- Red’s Mission
- Setting Up for Development
- Using Words, Values and Types
- Code-Controlling Structures
- Working with Series and Blocks
- Using Functions and Objects
- Working with files
- Parsing Data
- Composing Visual Interfaces
- Advanced Red
- Authors:Ivo Balbaert
- Publisher:Packt Publishing
- Publication date:May 18, 2018
- Pages:252 pages